So I guess I was right when I said he might be on his way...
... because just a few hours after that post [38 weeks] I started having contractions. Around 10pm they were getting pretty consistent and after 3 hours of laboring at home they were coming about every 3-4 minutes and were getting stronger. So after convincing Tom this was really it [he didn't believe it was really happening so soon], we decided it was time to head to the hospital. Luckily Eliza was working close by and could come over at 1am to stay with Hazel [thanks Liza!]. By the time I got all settled in at the hospital, I was at 7cm and the contractions were coming about every 2-3 minutes. I kept saying I felt like I needed to push and she said the only thing keeping the baby in was that my water hadn't broken yet. I seriously thought I was going to have the baby right then. My contractions were unbearable and I can honestly say it is the worst pain I have ever felt in my entire life. I guarantee I at least sprained a couple of Tom's fingers and I'm pretty sure the nurse thought I was a drug addict with how desperately I was begging for the epidural. I have never loved someone as quickly as I did when that anesthesiologist walked through the door. Bless him. We barely got the epidural in in time because 15 minutes later they broke my water and 15 minutes after that I was at a 10 and ready to go. It was all so perfect after that. My doctor made it so comfortable, we just talked and laughed and after only 3 big pushes the little guy was here. No complications, no problems, only 3 hours in the hospital and baby and mom were totally healthy. Tom and I just looked at each other in disbelief that it really all went that well. We were so traumatized from Hazel's delivery that this was seriously such a relief and a huge blessing to have everything go so well. We looked at our little angel and fell in love immediately. I never thought I could love another child the way I love Hazel but the minute I saw him I was overwhelmed with the very same love. It's the most incredible, most powerful thing, a mother's love. The rest of the hospital stay was great, my recovery was fast and little Drew has been such a good boy right from the start. The biggest problem we had in the whole process was choosing a name...it came down to the last 5 minutes before we left and we just narrowed it down one by one and circled the last one. But I love it. It was the only name I liked all along. Tom's still getting used to it, but I think it's growing on him. Anyway, we are all so happy that little Drew is here now and here are some photos of this big adventure...
9 comments:
Alisa you look so beautiful, how lucky.
Your whole family is amazing.
I am glad everything went well.
I seriously just sat and cried my eyes out. I love you guys so much and am so happy for you.
Your family of four (!) is so beautiful! I love the name Drew (and your naming strategy!)
Hey Alisa! So...I saw you in a pic with Brooke Bowen on her blog, and she told me you used to be in the same ward (we're now neighbors)! What a small world! :) Congrats on your new addition! Your little family is darling! It's fun to see what you've been up to. Hope you're getting some sleep! :)
-Michelle (Child)
Alisa, Mother of two beautiful children, I am so happy for you! I love that even at only a few days old little Drew manages to offer a bit of a smile and charm me. What a living doll!
I want to bring you dinner or run your errands or something for you. I'm calling you tomorrow again.
LOVE YOU!
I'm so glad everything went so well! You look beautiful I was waiting to hear all the details. Oh I can't wait to love him!
What a blessing! First of all you're a baby. Second of all I'm so glad that he is here safe and all is well. I bet Hazel is going to be the best older sister/second mom to that little guy. Nothing like a new and real doll for her to play with. Love you! I want to see him when i'm in town for christmas!
It is so nice to have another friend that has two kiddo's. I am so happy for you all! Please let me know if their is anything I can do. We need another play date SOON!
We totally used the same "naming strategy! I'm glad all is well! HE is a cutie!
Post a Comment